Sunday, January 23, 2011

First Day Write-Up

Yes, yes, I know it's a few days delayed, but it took me a while to figure out 1) how this blog works (I only use the internet for Facebook and webcomics!! TT^TT), and 2) what exactly need to be put up here. You'll have to forgive the blase writing style here, I didn't know what I was doing, but I wanted to get it done. I'll probably either rewrite it or just do  better next time... :\



WASH Write-up Response


1/19/11

Today was the first day of studio class in WASH. Just walking in, you can tell it’s basically a warehouse full of art nerds. We were started off with the assignment of picking a new persona for the day; either a nightmare or a daydream, along with different parameters beyond that, such as male or female, animate or inanimate, age, job, etc. I chose to be a daydream; a young 1940’s heiress. After choosing a character, we were tasked with creating costumes and accessories out of newspaper and masking tape. There was some amazing craftsmanship!  Hats, helmets, claws, capes… even a life sized parrot and a newspaper baby doll! After our fashion show, we were given some information on our first large project, Larger Than Life; making everyday objects at a larger size completely out of cardboard. We’re due to make three different spheres by Monday. After lunch we got in groups and talked about quotes from famous people, whether or not we agree with them, and why. Not to speak poorly of my new classmates, but some of their logic behind their conclusions was, uh… creative…  which, I suppose, is a good thing in this class. After working our way through the syllabus, we studied tension in art and the basic principles of design and composition and how it applies to anything dealing with the senses, thought, memory, etc. This lead to the group assignment of personifying those principles through sound. My  group was given “point”, so we all stood in a group and just clapped once. Pretty self-explanatory. Some of them were kind of difficult to guess, but only once did the entire class manage to get it wrong. We were running close to the clock, so we rushed through the assignment of another project involving gestalt theories and dots; 30 thumbnails due by Monday, but not before discussing some very interesting theories, such as the idea that "all art is tension". It was a very interesting topic and once we started to discuss and think about it, I realized that it's pretty much true. All art is about tension in one way or another; highlighting tension, resolving tension, creating tension... it makes sense, huh? And when you think about it, everything in life is about tension. So, really, it was a great idea and a great thought to end the day with.
 All-in-all, it’s going to be a lot of work, but I can tell it’ll be very helpful to my as an artist and I’m sure I’ll have a lot of fun here! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment