Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dot, dot, dot...

I just finished this current stage of the Dot Project. It so far reminds me a lot of last semester's lines and colors and negative space... :P Anyway, here's my write-up on our thumbnails and critiques:

After doing 10 thumbnails for each gestalt concept, proximity, similarity and continuance, we were charged with critiquing our table mates' dots in order to discover design patterns. We look for repetitiveness in the form of scale, distances, quantity, density and relational shift; looking for patterns in these areas is a good way to prevent one's self from getting in a design rut, so to speak. I was prepared to receive some constructive criticism, but was pleasantly surprised with how little work needed to be done. I did have issues with repeating triangles and pyramids, lateral designs and a slight over use of the number 4, all of which were fixed in the next step of the process, re-drawing thumbnails we were unhappy with. I ended up replacing 7 designs. From there, designs were narrowed down from 37, back to 30, then to 15, which were to be recreated on 6"x6" cardstock squares with sharpie and a circle template, due tomorrow. Which I just finished!
And here's my corroborating evidence! ;)










All in all, not too hard; very reminiscent of last semester, Basics of Design. :P Either way, it's all done and ready for tomorrow!


And here's a bonus, cartoon versions of my table mates and teachers! :)





Night!

~Emily
                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment